Well here we are at another new year for La Lune Creative! We’re so excited to finally share some new designs and get things going again! Here’s what we’ve been up to:
The new site
We hope you enjoy the new site! As we add content, the site will eventually change with our new growth. The sidebar will be filled with new content categories, and we’ll be posting more often this year. Also, while we took away the fugly facebook comments, ProPhoto5 now has inline comments so we can reply back easier. We also activated gravatars, so if you don’t have one, get one! We’d love to chat! – http://en.gravatar.com Once you have a gravatar, anywhere you go that uses it makes your little image popup, in our case the comments! Take a look around and check back often for new updates!
Where we’ve been
It’s been a long last few months! We basically had to prepare for ProPhoto5 months out, only with beta, you basically have to wait to do all the work right up until release because the software has to be stable enough to work with. We’ve been beta testing since October, and because of the time frame we opted to start preparing in August, which is why we didn’t release any new designs towards the end of the year.
Future brand kits
In that time leading up to beta, we had a couple of months to work on a store we were developing. We plan on releasing brand kits for some of our designs, but the software we were using was a nightmare, we couldn’t get it to integrate well with our site, and ended up scrapping the idea. We’ve tried 2 other “stores” that didn’t live up to our standards, but we did find something that works eventually and we’re working on that again soon. So you can expect brand kits to arrive for our most popular designs, and some of our future designs as well. We’re hoping to launch everything in the summer of 2014.
As you already know, some designs were “refreshed” for 2014. If you upgraded to ProPhoto5 and have already purchased a design previously all those new features will work with your design already. ProPhoto had decided that we all weed out our older designs and bring in only our best to clean up the store and start fresh for 2014, in that decision everybody’s designs got updated with the new software, it was a requirement. Here’s the changes we made for ALL designs that made the switch from P4 to P5.
– All social icons were switched to the new “buttons” feature.
– A pin it button was added to each design
– Photoshop files were either eliminated because of the new buttons feature or changed for easier use
– Custom search bars that were coded in manually in a couple of designs were stripped and now just uses the feature in ProPhoto5.
That’s it! Designers made only the changes required to update from 4 to 5. There are two designs that DID see significant changes, and saw price changes based on those changes.
– Based on feedback from customers, Shepard’s overall size was increased
– Custom search bar was added
– Photoshop files with textures had to be redone because of the new size, and they were optimized a little better for load times
– Gallery navigation buttons were added
– The featured area images was changed from 3 to 4, to fit the new space and because of feedback from customers
– Along with the rest of the updates from above (social icons changed to buttons, etc)
– Overall size was increased
– Mod has a brand new logo
– New social icons were added
– Custom search bar was added
– The entire design went through a feature by feature check for consistency (we’ve done this for the last 2 years, but mod was our oldest design and needed it.)
– Mobile logo was added
– Custom fonts were added to be consistent where there was none before
– Files were cleaned up
– Design guide added
Basically, Mod got everything changed but the overall layout and look and feel. It’s pretty much completely new!
Upgrading your design
I wanted to address some concerns people had with upgrading designs. There’s no need to upgrade your design at all if you don’t want to. All the features in P5 will work with your P4 design, the only difference is the work involved in doing it yourself. Most of the changes we made with the design itself you can make in 5 minutes. If you want the updated one, you would need to repurchase the design. Unfortunately there’s no tools available through the ProPhoto store to be able to offer customers design upgrades for free, which is why they must be repurchased if you choose to do that.
Future designs releases
In the near future we’ll be switching to a quarter system. 2-3 designs will be released every quarter together instead of separately. This is so we can have time between releases to prepare for fresh new designs, and prepare for the long haul to ProPhoto6.
Phew! That’s a lot of information! I hope it wasn’t TOO Big a wall of text. With today’s mobile, and hurried society nobody reads anymore. So if you lasted this long, congratulations!
We hope to see you soon, and check back soon!
Matt & Crystal -